The possibility of suffering an electrical shock in your home is very real. Fortunately, there are things that you and your family can do to prevent this. Here are eight things you can do to make your home safer.
- Replace old electrical equipment. Equipment that is old in your home can lead to small shocks when electrical components are used. Contact an electrician to have the equipment and wiring updated.
- Avoid overwhelming power outlets. Even though extension cords are available to use, they should be used sparingly. Overwhelming outlets and strips can not only lead to someone getting shocked, but also start a house fire.
- Take safety measures before doing electrical work. Ideally, all electrical work should be handled by an experienced electrician. However, if you are doing any DIY project that requires you to work on the electricity, you need to take safety measures first, such as removing metal jewelry.
- Childproof your home. If you have not already, it is time to buy socket covers for any outlets that are not in use. Children could suffer an injury if they try to stick their fingers or other objects into the outlets. You also need to ensure that electrical devices are stored out of the reach of small children.
- Educate yourself on your home's electrical structure. You need to know where the fuse box is in your home. You also should be aware of the wattage limits of your outlets so you can ensure that they are not exceeded by people in your home.
- Schedule regular maintenance. Create a schedule with your electrician to assess your home's electrical system. If there are problems, the electrician can find them before they become a real hazard.
- Educate your family on safety around water. Electrical appliances can easily slip into
water. As a result, serious injury can occur. Ensure everyone in your family, including small children, knownot to use electrical devices around water. Teach children to find an adult for help if a device is in or near the water.
- Inspect electrical devices before use. Any devices that are used infrequently need to be thoroughly inspected before use. Check the cords for signs of damage. If you notice any problems, have the device checked out by an electrician before using.
There are many other ways that you can help keep your family safe from possible electric shock. During your electrician's visit, talk with him or her about other precautions that are necessary. To learn more, contact electric contractors in Edmonton.